What is BYOD?
BYOD is an operational model which is becoming increasingly common in enterprises and educational institutions. BYOD concept includes Wlan, printing, data protection, applications, IT classrooms, virtualization, LAN, user management, operators, electric supply, communication, support, training etc. BYOD means that students make their assignments mainly with their own computers.
Equipment recommendations, students' laptop
- A computer which complies with these recommendations can be used in all degree programmes. A lighter version is sufficient for most programmes, e.g. in the Faculty of Health and Welfare and Business Administration.
- It is likely that a tablet is enough in most degree programmes. However, this is not yet certain and the requirements will be specified in the first year.
- At least 4 Gt of main memory, preferably 8 Gt
- Windows 10 operating system (or at least Windows 7 which can be updated to Win 10 Edu charged only a token fee)
- Processor of at least Inter i5
- 5GHz WLAN
- Extension of the period of guarantee is recommended, if possible (normally 1 yr)
- Recommendation: 14 inch screen (Full HD or better)
- SSD disc (no hard drive)
- A good battery, which lasts several hours
- An integrated camera
You can use Microsoft Office programs freely. You can download them to your computer or use the web applications or both.
You also have OneDrive for Business available, where you can save your files and share files with other students and teachers.
Log in with your browser (you get an ID at the beginning of the studies).The user ID is in the form: first name.last name(at)samk.fi and password for SAMK ID.
Part of the programs used in studies can be downloaded to your computer. The programs which cannot be downloaded will be downloaded in the IT classrooms.
You can use a wireless printing system at webprint.samk.fi and print through any printer at SAMK campuses