Instructions related to studying practices for students
Information on SAMK's study practices and support services in an exceptional situation caused by a corona virus.
Updated January 10, 2022. Latest updates in bold.
Please also read SAMK's general guidelines on the coronavirus situation.
Incoming exchange and international degree students: In addition to the general instructions above and the instructions below please read also the latest information for incoming exchange and international degree students.
Face masks are used on SAMK's campuses - Remember also safety distances and good hand and cough hygiene
Drinking and eating are prohibited in study facilities, such as the library.
Currently, eating your own snacks is allowed on the Pori campus:
- On floors 1 to 5 in part A, in front of the elevator groups
- In Part B, in groups of tables outside the door leading to the shop
- Part C on the second floor in the students living room
The studying timetable tells you whether the teaching is on campus or remotely.
It is imperative to adhere to the meal schedules marked in the timetables.
Follow SAMK's student e-mail and Moodle as well as Tuudo / Oiva at least once a day. Tuudo must be installed so that the student can easily follow SAMK's news through it as well. See "Tuudo" below.
Please come to the campus only when you are healthy. Do not take the slightest risk of infecting others in our study and work environment.
If the teacher has set a presence requirement for the course, the requirement remains valid also in online teaching. Teachers will instruct the students on the practices concerning their own courses.
Travelling abroad and entering Finland
Please read separate Information for incoming exchange and international degree students.
All degree and exchange students and staff arriving from abroad (excluding countries to which may be traveled to from Finland according to the government’s instructions) will be directed to a quarantine with length in accordance of THL instructions, in which case they will not be able to enter the campus and all transactions will be handled electronically. Follow the course description for your studies and, if necessary, contact your academic advisor. Read other quarantine instructions in the main instructions.
Students and staff are asked to continue to consider the risks associated with travelling abroad. Upon return, you may face a quarantine with length in accordance of THL instructions, during which no access to the campuses is possible.
THL's travel instructions can be found here: https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases-and-vaccinations/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates/travel-and-the-coronavirus-pandemic
About practical training
If you are going on a period of practical training, follow the instructions given by the employer of the training placement. If your practical training is interrupted, ask your employer for a testimonial for the part completed, so that the corresponding number of credits can be entered into the study register.
If your practical training is cancelled, find compensatory studies from SAMK’s study selection and the courses on CampusOnline or from the open university courses offered by other higher education institutions. SAMK’s study selection can best be found under the course descriptions on the study guide (SAMK websites, Shortcuts, Study Guide). Limit the search with a time period (e.g. starting date 1 August 2021 and ending date 31 December 2021) and conduct the search. You can also limit the search by location, group or degree programme.
Instructions for students attending simulations and other situations practicing manual skills:
These instructions will be updated following the changes in the coronavirus situation and instructions related to that, as well as specified when propositions or observations for specifications are made.
- All degree students arriving from abroad will be quarantined in accordance with THL instructions
- You can attend a simulation only when healthy
- All close contacts between staff and students are minimized
- No shaking hands
- Students practice skills under the guidance/supervision of (one) a teacher during one day, i.e. no circulating from one learning station to another, if possible.
- The safety distance of 1 to 2 meters is kept, if possible, in classrooms, dressing rooms and bathrooms
- Remember the good hand hygiene and coughing etiquette
- Teachers are using face shields/masks and students face masks. The specific instructions on their proper use is given in the beginning of the simulation
- Hands are washed and disinfected before the simulation, after the simulation as well as after sneezing, coughing or blowing one’s nose. Possible additional instructions are given during the contact sessions.
- The following issues are revised in the beginning of a simulation (NB It is advisory to revise them independently before attending the simulations):
- the correct techniques to
- wash your hands
- disinfect your hands
- wear and remove personal protective equipment
- the current topics related to pandemic/coronavirus from the website of Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases-and-vaccinations/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates
- the correct techniques to
- The equipment is used with protective gloves, if possible
- The equipment is cleaned after the use by using the ApoWipe surface disinfecting wipes or EasyDes surface disinfecting liquid.
- All patient cases are quarantine cases, i.e. the wearing of the protective equipment is practiced and consequently the protection in close contact guaranteed.
- When practicing manual skills in close contact (e.g. administering injection or taking blood samples) the students use face masks and teachers face masks/shields for protection
eSAMK Support offers intensified assistance to online teaching and studying. We primarily support the use of Moodle, HILL, eduHILL, EXAM and Tuudo.
On-call service for staff and students Mon–Thu 8 am–5:30 pm, Fri 8 am–4 pm; tel. +358 44 710 3149, e-mail: email@example.com
Moodle is available as normal. e-SAMK Support will assist you as regards any problems with Moodle (tel. +358 44 710 3149, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
EduHILL is available for students’ group work and has direct communication with your own devices.
You can log in to EduHILL the same way as you do into your e-mail at https://eduhill.webex.com. The instructions for its use can be found at https://hill.samk.fi/instructions/personal-virtual-room/?lang=en/. This applies to all students who have a student.samk.fi e-mail address.
If you have any questions on the use of EduHILL, contact eSAMK Support, e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +358 44 710 3149
EXAM examination rooms
- The most up-to-date information on exam rooms can always be found on the EXAM homepage at exam.samk.fi
- All computers in the exam aquarium can be used.
- Examiners must use a mask in the exam aquarium.
- All exam computers have hand sanitizer next to them.
- Cancel your exam in the EXAM system if you are unable to attend. This will free up time for those in dire need. The exam can also be canceled on the day of the exam. Instructions for canceling and passing the exam can be found on the EXAM homepage at https://exam.samk.fi
Teachers always instruct the exam regarding their own courses.
Exam visits at SAMK are possible in Pori and for our students at those universities that open their exam visit services. An up-to-date list of universities that allow exam visits is available at e-exam.fi/exam-tenttivierailu. With regard to exam visits, it is important for the student to check the arrangements due to the pandemic, as well as the situation in the exam room of the visiting university just before the exam visit and their study e-mail in case of last-minute changes.
A student must not come to the exam ill or if he or she feels ill in the slightest degree. The exam reserved for the exam room can also be canceled just before the start of the exam. Hand washing before and after the exam is necessary.
eSAMK support helps with problems in both the EXAM system and the exam aquarium, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 44 710 3149
Tuudo is a mobile application for students and staff, where you can find your personal syllabus, course feedback for all courses, campus maps, SAMK press releases, student restaurant menus and library services, among other things. The Tuudo application can be downloaded to iOS and Android devices from their respective app stores. You should download Tuudo to your device right at the beginning of the semester to be able to see, for example, SAMK’s releases on the pandemic in SAMK’s news.
Also remember the course feedback, which is activated in Tuudo on the weekday after the end date of the course recorded in the Loki, and you will be notified about it in Tuudo and your student email.
eSAMK support will help you with any problems with Tuudo, e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +358 44 710 3149
Drinking and eating are prohibited in study facilities, such as the library.
The campus libraries are open as follows:
- In Rauma and Pori staffed service hours at samk.finna.fi. Library serves as a self service library according to campus opening hours.
- The Kuninkainen library serves online. Borrowed materials can be returned to a return box outside the library. Reservations can be collected as agreed. The library facilities are closed.
- The Art school library serves as a self-service library.
INFOtelakka serves online. Book an appointment by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Theseus uploads are made normally, questions can be sent to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please visit the library’s website or contact the library staff at:
Customer services for continuous learning
Services available every day (Mon – Fri) online, by email and by phone.
Customer service is open on the Pori campus Tue – Thu from 10 am to 2 pm. Note! From 23 August to 3 September 2021, Mon – Fri from 10 am to 2 pm.
In English: www.samk.fi/en/study/open-studies/
Completing and specialization studies:
The contact information for the personnel of the continuous learning studies can be found on the above-mentioned websites and at https://www.samk.fi/en/contact-us/
Pori campus student services are available electronically and by phone on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For contact information, see: https://www.samk.fi/en/contact-us/#studentoffice.
Rauma campus student services are working mainly electronically. Customer service time Mon–Fri from 9 am–3 pm (closed 11.30 am – 12:30 am). For more information please contact secretary Päivi Vahtokari, tel. 044 710 3503, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Art School's campus office can be reached electronically on weekdays from 9 am to 3 pm. Inquiries: Student Services Secretary Päivi Tuuliniemi, tel. +358 44 710 6191, email@example.com.
The Kuninkainen campus office is working mainly electronically. For more information please contact Student Services Secretary Kaija Kalliolevo, tel. +358 44 710 6301, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also ask for a personal appointment.
Contact information for admission services:
You can apply for a degree certificate as usual through the e-services and answer the AVOP survey at the same time.
Study certificates and official transcripts of study records as well as certificates of resignation are posted to students approximately once a week.
Information on services on the campuses: https://www.samk.fi/en/contact-us/#intoffice
In addition, the staff of the International Office is also available by phone and by e-mail, and it is possible to book a personal discussion time.
Instructions concerning ICT services can be found at https://byod-info.samk.fi
Support requests should primarily be made via ServiceDesk (https://samk.efectecloud.com)
Phone services are reserved only for urgent situations (Helpdesk: +358 44 710 3080)
If you have not already installed Tuudo, you should do it right away. Tuudo is also used as an information medium between SAMK and students.
The use of a VPN connection should be restricted to teaching that is separately arranged and directed by teachers.
During HILL sessions, it is advisable to save network capacity by turning your camera off, at least after the introductions.