What is Unique in Sea Captain Studies at Satakunta University of Applied Sciences:
- Latest maritime simulator technology taken in use 2016
- Audited Dynamic Positioning Training by Nautical Institute in July 2017
- Awarded by RINA/LR maritime safety award 2016 as part of SEAHORSE consortium
- SAMK is member of IAMU (International Association of Maritime Universities)
- SAMK is member of IMCA (International Maritime Contractors Association)
- Rauma and Pori are cities in the heart of a maritime cluster in Finland
BIMCO – The most comprehensive source of contracts and information for the global shipping industry. BIMCO is the world’s largest international shipping association, with around 2,000 members in more than 120 countries.
SAMK Students Will be Employed
Maritime academies in Scandinavia have a long reputation for delivering an outstanding curriculum, which prepares students for finding their own niche in the field. Thus, seafarers with a Scandinavian degree in Maritime Studies are in high demand, especially for management level positions. Depending on their work experience they often work as officers, chief officers or Masters on board the ships.
Later in their career many seafarers seek employment on shore. Typical land-based careers include work at port organizations or in stevedoring companies, in shore organizations of shipping companies or in chartering agencies. Moreover, other suitable jobs are working as a maritime inspector, maritime expert or as a pilot.
Versatile and International Campus
Study centre for offshore technology, international business and logistics.
- 1500 students
- Diversified: business, health care and social services, seafaring, technology
- International: bachelor and master degree programmes in English, about 150 international students every year
SAMK – The best education!
SAMK – The highest employment rate outside the metropolitan area!
Survey of Ministry of Education and Culture for those graduated from university of applied sciences in 2009 - 2018.
Your Studies Include
- Navigation and Ship Handling
- Shipping Technology and Shipping Economics
- Seamanship and Leadership Skills
- Ship Service and Maintenance and Ship Building
- Ship Engines and Technical Systems
- General Operators Certificate (GOC)
- Maritime Law and Legislation
- Ship Safety and Emergency Management
> en > Curricula
While proceeding in your studies you gradually learn to work in a challenging environment and to make quick decisions. You will also get used to the special demands of life at sea, such as being able to adapt to different situations, to take responsibility and to be flexible.
In thesis you demonstrate your ability to apply your knowledge and skills in practical expert duties related to the professional studies.
Maritime Studies in SAMK comply with the standards set for the contents of the training by the international conventions (STCW). During your studies you have an opportunity to apply for an exchange program and earn credits (ECTS) while studying abroad in any of the partner schools of SAMK. Onboard training can also be completed partly or entirely abroad.
Sea Captain students and senior lecturer tell about the studies.
Maritime students and the new simulator.
President of SAMK tells why you should come to Finland to study.
(02) 623 4801
Further Information on Degree Program:
+358 44 710 3679