Applicant's Guide

Practical information for applicants and admitted students

Admitted students

Notification of admission

All admitted students will get a personal notification of admission latest by the end of June 2017.

Students will be informed about being accepted as student by e-mail as soon as possible, starting in May. Every applicant will be sent an e-mail about their result by the end of June 2017.

Confirming the study place, enrolling for academic year 2017–2018 and paying the tuition fee

Confirming the study place, enrolling for academic year 2017–2018 and paying the tuition fee

Applicant who has been accepted as student is required to confirm the study place by 14 July 2017 at 3:00 p.m. at latest. After confirming the study place the steps differ in respect whether the student is required to pay the tuition fee or not. Confirming the study place will be available either in or with paper form.

If the student is required to pay the tuition fee, he/she will be billed the fee. The tuition fee should be paid by 1 August 2017. If the student pays the fee, he/she is considered to enroll as present for academic year 2017-2018. If the student is entitled to enroll as absent, he/she is required to present documents that prove the reason for absence by 1 August 2017.

If the student is not required to pay the tuition fee, he/she should enroll as present or absent. If the student enrolls as absent, he/she is required to present documents that prove the reason for absence by 1 August 2017.

Applying for residence permit

Applying for residence permit

Before starting the studies, reserving the travel ticket or arranging the housing, an accepted student who is not from a country in European Union or European Economic Area is required to apply for a residence permit in Finland. The application is done via Internet. More information can be found on Finnish Immigration Service’s (Migri’s) pages.



Before you leave

  • Make sure you have a valid health insurance
  • Book a flight ticket
  • Reserve accommodation
  • Notify your contact person about your arrival date and time and place of arrival
  • Think about how you are going to pay your finances in Finland
  • Make copies of important documents such as identification document, insurance card, etc.
  • Check the electric voltage


There are several student houses available for the students of Satakunta University of Applied Sciences.

In Pori the housing office providing student accommodation is called ”Porin YH-asunnot”. Please go to the following website to find the student accommodation application form of YH-asunnot:

To get information about vacant student accommodation in Rauma, please contact International Relations Secretary, Ms. Saija Arslan,


Hand luggage

  • Flight ticket
  • Valid identification document: passport / identification card (Note: please check that your passport is valid for the whole period of your stay in Finland. The EU/EEA citizens should also bring their passport if they are planning to travel outside the European Union, e.g. Russia)
  • Cash
  • Debit / credit card
  • European Health Insurance Card / Insurance documents
  • Details of your destination (name, address, telephone number)
  • Letter of acceptance from host university
  • 2 passport size photos
  • Camera


  • Copies of important documents
  • Clothes
  • Comfortable shoes
  • Personal items that will help you feel at home
  • Photos of family and home
  • Towels
  • Bed linen
  • Adaptor for electrical appliances (220V)

Be sure to check your baggage allowance with the airline or train company with which you are travelling. Paying for excess baggage can be very expensive! If you do not have any space left in your suitcase, it is advisable to put the rest of your baggage in package boxes/parcels and send them to your address in Finland. It is cheaper to send it by package boxes than paying for excess luggage.

More information about sending boxes/parcels:
Express delivery & mail service TNT

How to get there

By plane

Most international flights to Finland arrive at Helsinki-Vantaa airport from where there are good domestic flight and bus connections to other Finnish towns. Please notice that Ryanair company flies you to Tampere. There is also an airport in Pori.

Blue 1

By bus

For those landing at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, there is a bus service available from the airport to Harjavalta, Huittinen, Kankaanpää, Pori and Rauma on a daily basis. Buses leave in front of the terminal. A single ticket costs approximately 30-35 euros.

Timetable and prices of bus: Matkahuolto

By train

There are several train connections between Helsinki and Harjavalta, Pori and Tampere every day. To get the Railway Station in Helsinki from the airport, you can take the Finnair bus. When travelling to Pori or Harjavalta you should change trains in Tampere. A single ticket costs about 30 euros depending on the train selected.

There is also a train connection to Finland from Saint Petersburg and Moscow. When travelling to Pori you should change trains in Riihimäki.

Timetables and prices: VR

By ferry

It is also possible to travel to Finland by ferry from Sweden, Estonia, Germany, and Poland.

Silja Line (Stockholm, Tallinn, Germany)
Viking Line (Stockholm, Tallin)

When reserving and buying the tickets remember to ask about the student discounts!

Host country formalities

Residence permit

Depending on the nationality and the period of your stay, you may need a residence permit to live in Finland. The application is subject to a fee, usually around € 300 according to Every foreign student is required to have a valid health insurance when applying for a residence permit if the studying period lasts for more than 3 months.

Students from EEU/EEA Countries
If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you do not need a residence permit. However, you must register your right to reside in Finland if your stay lasts longer than 3 months. This should be done within 1 week after arrival at the local police station in Finland.

In order to register you need to have the following:

  • A valid health insurance
  • A passport or other identification document
  • Two passport size photographs
  • A certificate confirming your registration as an exchange student at Satakunta University of Applied Sciences

Students from Nordic countries
If you are a Nordic citizen, you do not need a residence permit or a visa for studies in Finland. However, if you are staying in Finland for more than 3 months, you have to get the Joint Nordic Document of Moving from the local Register Office (Maistraatti).

Students from non EU/EEA countries and non-Nordic countries
If you are neither an EU/EEA citizen nor a Nordic citizen, you need a visa or residence permit, if you are going to stay in Finland for more than 3 months. A visa is an entry permit for a short, temporary stay of less than three months in Finland. The visa and the residence permit can be applied for at the nearest Finnish Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The visa or residence permit must be obtained before your departure to Finland. When you apply for a residence permit, a financial statement will be requested. The statement must show that you have at least 6,000 euros at your disposal for the academic year.

You need the following documents when applying for a visa:

  • A completed and signed visa application form
  • One passport sized photograph in color
  • A passport (valid for at least 3 months following your journey)
  • Valid travel insurance
  • A valid health insurance
  • Documents indicating the purpose, conditions and duration of your visit, such as tickets, accommodation, an official letter of invitation, the date of birth, your address, and you passport number

More information:
The Finnish Immigration Service
The Finnish Consulate
Information about visa

Health care and health insurance

EU and EEA students are permitted to the same social welfare benefits in Finland as Finns. Students who are citizens of the EU/EEA countries are advised to obtain the European Health Insurance Card from their local health insurance office before arriving in Finland.

All non EU/EEA students in Finland are required to have a valid health insurance when applying for a residence permit if the studying period lasts for more than 3 months. Contact the International Office at your home university for further advice on where to take out an insurance policy.

The level of health care in Finland is high and there are public Health Centres and hospitals throughout the country. No special vaccinations are required for entry into Finland. It is however recommended that you are vaccinated against tetanus, polio and diphtheria.

For more information on the health care services in the Satakunta region, please have a look at our Survival Guide (in pdf format) for the incoming students.

Transfer of studies

Substitution and Transfer of Credits

1. A student can request that competence acquired elsewhere (before the beginning of the studies or during the studies at SAMK) is transferred or substituted for parts of the degree he or she is studying for.

2. Both studies and competence acquired otherwise can be transferred or used as substitutes.

3. The student shall prepare the application and demonstrate his or her competence.

4. In order to recognise his or her personal competence, the student shall become thoroughly acquainted with the curriculum of the degree programme. 

5. Students who have started their studies at SAMK in 2010 and afterwards: Applications for the inclusion of studies, for substitution, excemption from mandatory language and competence demonstration are completed starting from 1.2.2014 in SoleOPS/e-Services. Log in the SoleOPS and click the link "e-Services" in the top of the page.

6. For every degree programme, there is a designated person who is in charge of receiving the applications. Information on this person shall be provided by the Degree Programme Coordinator. 

7. The student will be notified of the approval of the application through an entry in the Winha student information system. If the application is not approved as such, or if the student is required to provide separate proof of competence (e.g. portfolio, various presentations, exam), this will be notified to the student in writing.

8. Separate proof of competence shall be evaluated by the teacher in charge of the course in question.  

9. When the student applies for the substitution or transfer of credits, he or she should remember that competence acquired before the beginning of the studies and proven by a written certificate shall be entered in the Winha system as substitute studies. The ECTS credits awarded in this way shall not entitle the student to student financial aid. Correspondingly, all competence demonstrated during the studies shall entitle the student to student financial aid.

Application for competence demonstration

Student's competence, which is not proven by an academic certificate, can be recognised by demonstration of competence. Competence can be proven by a certificate or an evaluated study attainment. Demonstration of competence is applied for the entire study modules or units. After the application for competence demonstration is approved you are able to edit the demonstration plan.

For further information, see Procedural Instructions ME71106

For further information on studies generally, please have a look at Regulations.