Practical information for applicants and admitted students
Confirming the study place, enrolling for academic year 2017–2018 and paying the tuition fee
Applicant who has been accepted as student is required to confirm the study place by 14 July 2017 at 3:00 p.m. at latest. After confirming the study place the steps differ in respect whether the student is required to pay the tuition fee or not. Confirming the study place will be available either in Studyinfo.fi or with paper form.
If the student is required to pay the tuition fee, he/she will be billed the fee. The tuition fee should be paid by 1 August 2017. If the student pays the fee, he/she is considered to enroll as present for academic year 2017-2018. If the student is entitled to enroll as absent, he/she is required to present documents that prove the reason for absence by 1 August 2017.
If the student is not required to pay the tuition fee, he/she should enroll as present or absent. If the student enrolls as absent, he/she is required to present documents that prove the reason for absence by 1 August 2017.
Applying for residence permit
Before starting the studies, reserving the travel ticket or arranging the housing, an accepted student who is not from a country in European Union or European Economic Area is required to apply for a residence permit in Finland. The application is done via Internet. More information can be found on Finnish Immigration Service’s (Migri’s) pages.
Substitution and Transfer of Credits
1. A student can request that competence acquired elsewhere (before the beginning of the studies or during the studies at SAMK) is transferred or substituted for parts of the degree he or she is studying for.
2. Both studies and competence acquired otherwise can be transferred or used as substitutes.
3. The student shall prepare the application and demonstrate his or her competence.
4. In order to recognise his or her personal competence, the student shall become thoroughly acquainted with the curriculum of the degree programme.
5. Students who have started their studies at SAMK in 2010 and afterwards: Applications for the inclusion of studies, for substitution, excemption from mandatory language and competence demonstration are completed starting from 1.2.2014 in SoleOPS/e-Services. Log in the SoleOPS and click the link "e-Services" in the top of the page.
6. For every degree programme, there is a designated person who is in charge of receiving the applications. Information on this person shall be provided by the Degree Programme Coordinator.
7. The student will be notified of the approval of the application through an entry in the Winha student information system. If the application is not approved as such, or if the student is required to provide separate proof of competence (e.g. portfolio, various presentations, exam), this will be notified to the student in writing.
8. Separate proof of competence shall be evaluated by the teacher in charge of the course in question.
9. When the student applies for the substitution or transfer of credits, he or she should remember that competence acquired before the beginning of the studies and proven by a written certificate shall be entered in the Winha system as substitute studies. The ECTS credits awarded in this way shall not entitle the student to student financial aid. Correspondingly, all competence demonstrated during the studies shall entitle the student to student financial aid.
Application for competence demonstration
Student's competence, which is not proven by an academic certificate, can be recognised by demonstration of competence. Competence can be proven by a certificate or an evaluated study attainment. Demonstration of competence is applied for the entire study modules or units. After the application for competence demonstration is approved you are able to edit the demonstration plan.
For further information, see Procedural Instructions ME71106
For further information on studies generally, please have a look at Regulations.