Simo Inkilä from Juvenes Corporation: The focus is on learning and good food
Juvenes Corporation starts its functions in Satakunta by opening up restaurants on SAMK campuses in Pori and Rauma.
Restaurant manager Simo Inkilä and managing chef Mika Sokero run a multi-talented team with eight members who they call "Simo’s and Mika’s angels". When the team members were recruited an important criterion was that each team member is capable of client service and cashier and kitchen work.
– I wanted to be involved in founding the first Juvenes restaurant in Satakunta, Simo Inkilä says. He is the restaurant manager of the restaurant Skene and Café Agora on Pori Campus. He says that he wanted to forward the quality description of Juvenes after twenty-four years in Fazer.
– The first step is often the most difficult one, but nothing is more rewarding in the world than the feeling of success, he says.
According to Inkilä the quality description of the company includes good food, good service and authenticity. He hopes that the restaurants will be common living rooms, where people can meet each other and respect each other.
– It is important that the students can meet teachers and other staff in the same place, he thinks.
We are facing new things and learning how to function with students. We need to develop products and services which work here.
Lunch is the cornerstone of the function
– Our most important target group consists of the students at SAMK, but personally I’d like to see students from all educational institutions in the area eating here. At first, we concentrate on creating trust in students and staff. Lunch will be the cornerstone of our functions, Simo Inkilä explains.
Inkilä has also plans for the future. All kinds of events from fairs to family celebrations can be organized in SAMK’s premises where catering services are provided by Juvenes. Functional cooperation with SAMK is vital. The beginning of cooperation involves experiments, discussions and learning from mistakes.
– We are facing new things and learning how to function with students. We need to develop products and services which work here. The premises are new and the methods and equipment are new.
We know our responsibility for students, because for many lunch is the only warm meal they eat during the day.
Food with quality
Restaurant Skene on Pori campus has a wide range of products. Four lunch options are available: home-made food, fusion, vegan sauce and a salad and soup meal. In addition, the cafeteria serves breakfast and panini and salad for lunch. There’s something for everyone.
– Making lunch for students is rather difficult, because requirements are high. We aim at using Finnish food stuffs, organic food and local food. We know our responsibility for students, because for many lunch is the only warm meal they eat during the day, Inkilä says.
Inkilä emphasizes the encounter with the client to his team, whether it’s exchanging a few words during breakfast or thanks from a graduating student. They are big moments. – It is especially important to meet new students in a friendly way and create trust, he says.
He uses the same humane approach to his staff. He promises support, when somebody has a bad day or goes through a stressful experience. He has a vision that in fine years everybody is feeling good and he hopes that SAMK and Juvenes will create an image of quality services together.
Juvenes corporation starts its functions in Satakunta and opens up their first restaurants on Samk campuses in Pori and Rauma. Restaurant Skene opens its doors on 14 August and lunch is served 10.30 – 14.30. Agora Café and restaurant Kanali in Rauma will open up on 28 August.
Juvenes Corporation organizes high-quality student services, and supports the goals of its owning communities by profitable business. The corporation is owned by the students’ unions of the University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology.