The Master’s degree programme in Maritime Management is designed for students who have Bachelor’s degree (at least 240 ECTS credits) education compliant with the management level requirements for deck officers or engine officers by IMO STCW and a minimum of at least three years of work experience within the marine field.
Applicants should note the following:
- The entrance examination is compulsory; other entrance examinations will not be considered.
- It is not possible to change the exam venue or time.
- The entrance examination will contain a multiple-choice test, and an interview.
- Information on the exam material will be available to all eligible applicants in the beginning of October 2017.
Both parts of the entrance examination must be completed in an acceptable level in order to be admitted.
All eligible applicants are invited to the entrance examination organized online.
Exact date and time of the entrance examination of each applicant and further instructions will be delivered.
Contact days will be arranged in Helsinki during the following days: 18–19 January, 8–9 March, 4–5 September and 1–2 November 2018.
Expertise in Marine Environment
Maritime Management is a Master’s degree programme for sea captains and marine engineering professionals who want to deepen their managerial expertise in safe international marine shipping. Students will be able to use the knowledge obtained for development, problem solving and innovation within marine engineering. They will gain skills to apply holistic perspective on the development and realization of marine engineering systems both individually and as part of teams.
SAMK students will be employed
Master’s studies on Maritime Management serve to educate highly skilled, competent and innovative specialists for demanding development, management and expert positions with marine engineering companies and organisations. Both vertical and horizontal career paths are likely to take place, even before the Master’s studies have been completed.
The Master’s Programme in Maritime Management will offer deeper insight into management of international shipping, risk assessment, safety and security management, resilience engineering, energy and environment of shipping, and modern automation and ICT applications in marine industry. In addition research and development methods and tools will be applied in the real life development project.
Tuition in the Master’s Degree Programme is organized so that studying can be combined with full-time work. Study courses worth 25 cr are delivered through three semesters. There will be an average two – three contact days per month. Contact sessions will be organized mainly in Helsinki in Finland. Contact sessions of elective studies can also be organized outside Finland.
Forms of Learning
What is Unique in Maritime Management Studies at SAMK:
- Latest maritime simulator technology taken in use 2017
- Audited Dynamic Positioning Training by Nautical Institute in July 2017
- Awarded by RINA/LR maritime safety award 2016 as part of SEAHORSE consortium
- SAMK is member of IAMU (International Association of Maritime Universities)
- SAMK is member of IMCA (International Maritime Contractors Association)
- Rauma and Pori are cities in the heart of maritime cluster of Finland
The most comprehensive source of contracts and information for the global shipping industry.
MORE ABOUT THE SUBJECT
Student Admissions Office
+358 2 623 4801
+358 44 710 3691